Sunday, August 21, 2016


My reflection blog this week is to consider the traits approach and identify traits that add or detract from my ability to lead. I will focus on Stogdill’s finding that leadership traits must be relevant to a leader’s actions and how traits are important to my leadership style. Although, Stogdill's had ten traits I will reflect on responsibility, persistence, and self-confidence, which add or detract from my leadership style.

Responsibility

The first trait that Stogdill's identified in his second survey in 1974 is leaders have the “drive for responsibility and task completion.” (p21). (Northouse, 2016) As a leader, I am responsible for my teams’ tasks are completed on time and under budget. There are times this trait can detract from my ability to lead efficiently due to unbalanced time management. I have a tendency to take on too much work or pick up the tasks the team cannot or did not complete, taking me away from my leadership duties. To overcome this trait detraction, I have learned to delegate more and hold team members accountable for their own work.  This trait has a heightened risk for my leadership style due to the company’s downsizing of employees, with over ninety employees retiring within the past week. I have a high level of responsibility, but I am concerned going forward with more work added to the team. Task completion is a risk going forward as we brace for the next round of layoffs in just three months. This is a strong trait for my leadership style, however, it can detract from my success based on management of time.

Persistence

The next trait is “vigor and persistence in pursuit of goals.” (p21) (Northouse, 2016) This trait is the strongest asset to my ability to lead, especially when I have a particular goal in mind. In my leadership skills development, continuous education has been a very persistent goal of mine for the last twelve years. This trait is also used at work toward the projects I manage, as quality and perception contribute to persistence to do things right the first time. This trait can also be a detraction if I over obsess on a particular goal, creating on imbalance on other goals that are equally important. This trait also requires time management and can impact my ability to be responsible and complete tasks on time. To overcome detraction's, I plan and re-plan continuously, to ensure I do not over commit. I do not mix work, school, or family time. I leave work at work, and family at home.  

Self-Confidence

The third trait is “self-confidence and sense of personal identity” (p21). According to Peter Northouse, self-confidence is the ability to be certain about one’s competencies and skills. As a leader, my self-confidence varies depending on the task or group I am leading. This trait is the hardest for me, personally, based on years of extreme low levels of confidence and insecurity. This insecurity and lack of confidence occasionally peaks out in my leadership delivery.

To understand why I am low in confidence and insecurity, I have to walk you through the history. Prior to joining the military at the age of 17, I lived in and out of foster care system for child abuse. When you spend your life growing up hearing you are stupid and would never amount to anything, you start believing it.  I knew the military would change my experiences and help me overcome my lack of confidence as a person. Along with the military and being educated, I have overcome the internal self-confidence issues.

Northouse states that self-confidence includes “self-esteem and self-assurance and the belief that one can make a difference” (p24). (Northouse, 2016) To overcome my lack of confidence or appearance of, I often ask for feedback.  My personal self-esteem and self-assurance has improved over the years by public speaking, presenting projects, and helping others.  Knowing you are important to other people who rely on you, increases your self-esteem. Being a leader, I cannot allow my insecurity come out in my delivery. I have learned to redirect a conversation if there is an immediate perception that I am being weak. I will admit, it takes continuous work to keep lack of confidence from appearing in your leadership style.  

Conclusion

Stogdill’s study in 1974 defined “traits that positively associated with leadership, including “intelligence, alertness, insight, responsibility, initiative, persistence, self-confidence, and sociability” (p21). The three traits that have an impact on my leadership is responsibility, persistence and self-confidence. Leaders also need to be social and build effective relationships which involves “influencing others with self-confidence” (p26) As a leader, being social has improved my self-confidence in leading my team. As soon as I step outside my comfort zone of my team, the self-confidence can decrease. Getting to know my team on a personal level, understanding their goals, family, and desires has built a strong team who supports each other.

In Stogdill’s first survey in 1948 “indicated that an individual does not become a leader solely because that individual possess certain traits. The traits leaders possessed are relevant to situations in which the leader is functioning” (p20). (Northouse, 2016)  My own leadership style analysis would suggest that my traits are roles in leadership, but they can add or detract by the situation or scenario. In reviewing the course information and reflecting on myself as a leader, I tend to relate to the first survey results. I would agree the traits listed by Stogdill, can have an impact my leadership style.


References:

Northouse, P. G. (2016). Ledership: Theory and Practice (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publication.



No comments:

Post a Comment